Saturday, January 3, 2009

“Flycatcher” Added to Job Description

Assistant Boss Karen caught me in the act of catching flies, so she has added this new task to my job description. I caught my first one at 4:22 p.m., Saturday, January 3, in a west window. He was still warm and pretty tasty. Because I have no fingernails, she had to help me onto the window ledge, but I alerted her to the urgency of the situation and she responded. I am hoping Bonnie and Gary appreciate my help with this custodial chore.

Bonnie found a small toy soldier and assumed he was mine, but Karen assured her that I am a pacifist. The soldier will be placed in the library’s Lost & Found bin and maybe a family will claim it. Of course I am a pacifist--what else could I be with no nails and no (ahem) active male parts. I don’t believe I need to say more on this subject.

We had a very busy day at the library today and I am sure the library ladies will be happy to go home and put their feet up. They finished the day by folding and putting out the current newsletter. I am happy to note that typist Melissa Darnell put my picture on pages one and three and also invited people to visit me in my office.

My staff have two concerns: they are not pleased that I am rearranging my book display on the upper level. I decided that the book Dog Breath, the Horrible Trouble with Hally Tosis by Dav Pilkey was far too prominent, so I knocked it out of the window. What self-respecting Boss Cat wants to look at a grinning dog with his yucky green tongue hanging out?



Karen had put a snowman gourd on her desk, and when I visited her office before we opened at 10:00 a.m. today, I decided to sample the ribbon around the guy’s neck. She gave me a stern “no,” so I did not try another sample. It worked like a charm: she praised my good behavior and gave me a treat. I am learning how to manage my staff--and I also know who keeps treats in what desk drawers. Last week I knocked a wood burned gourd off Karen’s desk and she found it on the carpet the next morning. My readers (and Assistants) MUST understand: the thing is a reptile with slanty eyes and it spins very nicely. I have not yet moved her gourd top nor gourd paper clip holder, but I have my eye, if not my paw, on them. Part of my nightly responsibility is to make sure that everything is working properly.

By the way, did you notice my New Year’s resolution on the bulletin board? I chose, “I will not eat any more important cords.”

No comments: